What is the antonym of “kindliest”?
The antonyms of kindliest are unkind, cruel, and malevolent. These antonyms describe a negative or harmful attitude towards others, opposite to the positive and benevolent attitude conveyed by kindliest.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking in kindness or compassion; harsh or cruel in manner or behavior.
She was unkind to her classmates and often made fun of them.
Willing to cause pain or suffering; lacking in mercy or compassion.
The dictator was known for his cruel treatment of political dissidents.
Having or showing a desire to harm others; malicious or spiteful.
The witch cast a malevolent spell on the village, causing crops to wither and animals to die.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unkind describes a lack of kindness or compassion, while cruel implies a willingness to cause pain or suffering.
- 2Malevolent is a more extreme term that suggests a desire to harm others, often for no reason.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use unkind, cruel, and malevolent to express disapproval of negative attitudes or behaviors.
- 2Describe Characters: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create contrasting characters and highlight their traits.
- 3Discuss Ethics: Utilize these antonyms in discussions about ethics and morality to explore different perspectives.