What is the antonym of “knock”?
The antonyms of knock are praise and compliment. The antonyms praise and compliment convey a positive or approving tone. They imply admiration, approval, or appreciation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for his excellent performance in the exam.
To express admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements.
She complimented her friend on her new dress and said it looked stunning on her.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is used to express approval or admiration for someone or something, often related to their actions or behavior.
- 2Compliment is used to express admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use praise and compliment to show appreciation and build positive relationships with others.
- 2Professional Settings: Incorporate these antonyms in job interviews, performance evaluations, or feedback sessions to provide constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create well-rounded characters and add depth to their personalities.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys approval or admiration for someone's actions or behavior, while compliment expresses admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements. Use these words to build positive relationships, provide constructive criticism, and create well-rounded characters in creative writing.