What is the antonym of “kowtow”?
The antonyms of kowtow are defy, resist, and oppose. These antonyms convey a sense of resistance or opposition to authority, rules, or expectations.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To openly refuse to obey or comply with something or someone.
The protesters decided to defy the curfew and continue their demonstration.
To oppose or fight against something or someone.
She tried to resist the temptation to eat the chocolate cake but eventually gave in.
To be against or disagree with something or someone.
The senator decided to oppose the new law because he believed it would harm his constituents.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Defy implies an open refusal to obey or comply with something or someone.
- 2Resist suggests a more active opposition or fight against something or someone.
- 3Oppose conveys a general disagreement or disapproval of something or someone.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disagreement: Use defy, resist, and oppose to express disagreement or opposition to authority, rules, or expectations.
- 2Discuss Politics: Incorporate these antonyms in political discussions to describe different levels of opposition or resistance.
- 3Write Persuasive Essays: Utilize these antonyms in persuasive essays to argue against a particular policy or decision.
The antonyms of kowtow convey a sense of resistance or opposition to authority, rules, or expectations. Defy implies an open refusal, resist suggests a more active opposition, and oppose conveys a general disagreement. Use these words to express disagreement, discuss politics, or write persuasive essays.