What is the antonym of “land”?
The antonyms of land are water, sea, and ocean. These antonyms are used to describe the opposite of solid ground, which is a body of water.
See all the antonyms of “land”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A clear, colorless, odorless, and tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain.
The boat sailed smoothly on the calm water.
A large body of saltwater that covers most of the earth's surface.
The fishermen went out to the sea early in the morning.
A very large expanse of saltwater that covers over 70% of the earth's surface.
The ocean is home to many different species of marine life.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Water is a general term that describes the liquid substance that forms the seas, lakes, and rivers.
- 2Sea is a specific term that refers to a large body of saltwater that is partly enclosed by land.
- 3Ocean is a more general term that refers to a vast expanse of saltwater that covers most of the earth's surface.
Good things to know
- 1Geography: Use these antonyms to describe the physical features of the earth's surface.
- 2Travel: Use these antonyms when planning a trip to a coastal area or island.
- 3Science: Use these antonyms when studying marine biology or oceanography.