What is the antonym of “laughter”?
The antonyms of laughter are seriousness and solemnity. The antonyms seriousness and solemnity convey a lack of humor or lightheartedness. It implies a state of being grave, earnest, or formal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being serious; not joking or frivolous.
The seriousness of the situation demanded immediate action.
The state or quality of being solemn; characterized by deep sincerity or gravity.
The ceremony was conducted with great solemnity and reverence.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Seriousness refers to a lack of humor or frivolity, while solemnity conveys a sense of deep sincerity or gravity.
- 2Seriousness can be used in a broader context, while solemnity is often associated with formal ceremonies or religious rituals.
Good things to know
- 1Formal Settings: Use seriousness and solemnity in formal settings such as ceremonies, speeches, or presentations.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in professional communication to convey a serious tone.
- 3Literary Contexts: Utilize these antonyms in literary contexts to create contrasting moods and tones.