What is the antonym of “lenitude”?
The antonyms of lenitude are severity, harshness, and intolerance. These antonyms convey a sense of strictness, inflexibility, and lack of leniency.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being harsh, strict, or uncompromising.
The severity of the punishment was meant to deter others from committing the same offense.
The quality or state of being rough, unkind, or severe.
Her harshness towards her subordinates made it difficult for them to approach her with their concerns.
The unwillingness or refusal to accept or respect beliefs, opinions, or behaviors that differ from one's own.
His intolerance towards people of different races and religions made him unpopular among his colleagues.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Severity implies a strict and uncompromising attitude towards rules or regulations.
- 2Harshness suggests a rough and unkind treatment of others.
- 3Intolerance denotes an unwillingness to accept or respect differences in beliefs, opinions, or behaviors.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Context: Use severity to describe the strictness of laws and regulations.
- 2Personal Relationships: Use harshness to describe unkind treatment in personal relationships.
- 3Social Issues: Use intolerance to describe the unwillingness to accept diversity in society.
The antonyms of lenitude are severity, harshness, and intolerance. Use these words to describe strictness, unkind treatment, and unwillingness to accept diversity in different contexts such as legal, personal, and social issues.