What is the antonym of “levitate”?
The antonyms of levitate are descend, fall, and settle. These words describe the opposite of levitation, which is the act of rising or floating in the air without any physical support.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To move from a higher to a lower place or position.
The airplane began to descend as it approached the airport.
To drop or descend under the force of gravity.
The leaves fell from the tree in autumn.
To come to rest or a stop after moving.
The dust settled on the furniture after the construction work was completed.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Descend implies a gradual or controlled movement downwards.
- 2Fall implies a sudden or uncontrolled movement downwards.
- 3Settle implies a coming to rest after movement.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create vivid descriptions and convey meaning effectively.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in books and articles to understand the context and meaning of the text better.
The antonyms of levitate are descend, fall, and settle. These words describe the opposite of levitation, which is the act of rising or floating in the air without any physical support. Use these antonyms to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and enrich your reading.