What is the antonym of “lingered”?
The antonyms of lingered are left, departed, and moved on. These antonyms describe the act of leaving a place or situation, indicating a lack of lingering or staying.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To go away from a place or situation.
After finishing their meal, they left the restaurant.
To leave a place, especially for a long time or permanently.
He departed from the airport early in the morning.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Left is a general term that describes the act of going away from a place or situation.
- 2Departed is a more formal term that implies leaving a place for a long time or permanently.
- 3Moved on is a more emotional term that suggests leaving a situation behind and progressing to something else.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use left and departed to describe leaving a place or traveling to a new location.
- 2Relationships: Use moved on to describe moving forward from a past relationship or situation.
- 3Work: Use left and departed to describe leaving a job or workplace.