What is the antonym of “listening”?
The antonyms of listening are ignoring and disregard. The antonyms ignoring and disregard imply a lack of attention or interest in what is being said.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refusing to acknowledge or pay attention to something or someone.
She was ignoring his calls because she was upset with him.
To pay no attention to; ignore.
He chose to disregard the warning signs and ended up getting lost in the woods.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ignoring implies a deliberate choice to not pay attention or acknowledge something or someone.
- 2Disregard is a more general term that describes the act of paying no attention to something.
Good things to know
- 1Communication: Use ignoring and disregard to describe situations where someone is not paying attention or acknowledging something.
- 2Relationships: Discuss the importance of active listening in relationships and how ignoring or disregard can negatively impact them.
- 3Workplace: Use these antonyms to discuss the importance of paying attention to details and following instructions.
The antonyms of listening are ignoring and disregard. Ignoring implies a deliberate choice to not pay attention, while disregard is a more general term. These antonyms can be used to describe situations where someone is not paying attention, discuss the importance of active listening in relationships, and emphasize the importance of paying attention to details in the workplace.