What is the antonym of “make”?
The antonyms of make are destroy and demolish. The antonyms destroy and demolish convey the opposite meaning of make, which is to create or construct something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To damage or ruin something beyond repair; to tear down completely.
The hurricane destroyed many homes and buildings in the area.
To completely destroy a building or structure.
The old factory was demolished to make way for a new shopping center.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Destroy implies causing severe damage or ruin beyond repair.
- 2Demolish specifically refers to tearing down a building or structure.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use destroy and demolish to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more accurately.
- 2Discuss Environmental Issues: Use these antonyms to talk about the negative impact of human activities on the environment, such as deforestation and pollution.
- 3Describe Natural Disasters: Use destroy to describe the damage caused by natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods.
The antonyms of make are destroy and demolish. Destroy implies causing severe damage or ruin beyond repair, while demolish specifically refers to tearing down a building or structure. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, discuss environmental issues, and describe natural disasters.