What is the antonym of “manlier”?
The antonyms of manlier are effeminate and unmanly. These antonyms describe a lack of masculinity or traditional male characteristics.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having qualities or characteristics more often associated with women than men.
He was criticized for his effeminate mannerisms, such as crossing his legs while sitting.
Not having the qualities or characteristics traditionally associated with men.
Crying is not considered unmanly, despite what some people may say.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Effeminate describes qualities or characteristics that are typically associated with women, while unmanly refers to a lack of traditional male qualities.
- 2Effeminate is a complementary antonym, meaning it is the opposite of a specific trait, while unmanly is a gradable antonym, meaning it can be used to describe a range of behaviors or characteristics.
Good things to know
- 1Gender Discussions: Use these antonyms to discuss gender roles and stereotypes.
- 2Literature and Media Analysis: Analyze characters in literature and media using these antonyms to understand their portrayal of gender.
- 3Avoid Stereotyping: Be mindful of using these antonyms in a way that reinforces harmful gender stereotypes.