What is the antonym of “materialising”?
The antonyms of materialising are disappearing and vanishing. These words convey the opposite meaning of materialising, which means to become actual or real.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Ceasing to be visible or present.
The magician made the rabbit disappear from the hat.
Gradually ceasing to exist or be seen.
The footprints in the sand were slowly vanishing as the tide came in.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disappearing implies a sudden or abrupt disappearance, while vanishing suggests a gradual or slow disappearance.
- 2Disappearing can also refer to something that was previously visible or present, while vanishing can refer to something that was never fully present or tangible.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Describe Phenomena: Use disappearing and vanishing to describe natural phenomena such as the setting sun or melting snow.
- 3Discuss Magic Tricks: Use disappearing to describe magic tricks where objects suddenly disappear, and vanishing to describe tricks where objects gradually fade away.