What is the antonym of “misbeholden”?
The antonyms of misbeholden are beholden, indebted, and obligated. These antonyms convey a sense of gratitude or obligation towards someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Owing thanks or having a duty to repay a favor or kindness.
I am beholden to my parents for their unwavering support throughout my life.
Owing money or gratitude for a service or favor received.
I feel indebted to my mentor for guiding me through my career.
Having a moral or legal duty to do something; being bound by a promise or agreement.
As a doctor, I am obligated to maintain patient confidentiality.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Beholden implies a sense of gratitude or indebtedness for a favor or kindness received.
- 2Indebted implies a sense of obligation or gratitude for a service or favor received, often involving money.
- 3Obligated implies a sense of duty or responsibility, often based on a promise or agreement.
Good things to know
- 1Express Gratitude: Use beholden, indebted, or obligated to express gratitude towards someone who has helped you.
- 2Acknowledge Responsibility: Use obligated to acknowledge your duty or responsibility in a given situation.
- 3Discuss Finances: Use indebted to discuss financial obligations or debts owed to someone.
The antonyms of misbeholden convey a sense of gratitude or obligation towards someone or something. Beholden implies gratitude for a favor or kindness, indebted implies gratitude for a service or favor received, often involving money, and obligated implies a sense of duty or responsibility. Use these words to express gratitude, acknowledge responsibility, or discuss finances.