The Opposite(Antonym) of “monogamy”
The antonyms of monogamy are polygamy and promiscuity. The antonyms polygamy and promiscuity convey a different approach to romantic relationships. It implies having multiple partners or being sexually active with many people.
Explore all Antonyms of “monogamy”
Definitions and Examples of polygamy, promiscuity
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The practice of having more than one spouse at the same time.
In some cultures, polygamy is an accepted form of marriage.
Having many sexual partners without commitment or exclusivity.
He was known for his promiscuity and had a reputation for sleeping around.
Key Differences: polygamy vs promiscuity
- 1Polygamy refers to the practice of having multiple spouses at the same time, while monogamy is the practice of having one spouse at a time.
- 2Promiscuity refers to having many sexual partners without commitment or exclusivity, while monogamy implies a committed and exclusive relationship.
Effective Usage of polygamy, promiscuity
- 1Discuss Cultural Differences: Use polygamy and monogamy to compare and contrast cultural practices.
- 2Talk About Relationships: Use promiscuity and monogamy to discuss different approaches to romantic relationships.
- 3Explain Personal Preferences: Use these antonyms to express personal preferences and values regarding relationships.
The antonyms have distinct meanings: Polygamy refers to having multiple spouses, promiscuity refers to having many sexual partners without commitment, while monogamy implies a committed and exclusive relationship. Use these words to discuss cultural differences, talk about relationships, and explain personal preferences and values regarding relationships.