student asking question

Can I say either "reject", "refuse", or "decline" here instead of "deny"?


Native speaker’s answer


No, this is a bit of a different kind of deny. "Deny" can be replaced with "reject," "refuse," or "decline" if it were a matter of refusing to give or grant something, such as a request or a proposal. This kind of deny is to 'refuse to admit the truth or existence of something'. Perhaps a word you could use is "refute." Ex: You can't refute the witnesses statement. Ex: You can't deny that I've done everything I can for you. Ex: The company denied my request for extended leave. = The company declined my request for extended leave.

Popular Q&As


Complete the expression with a quiz!