What is the antonym of “antagonistical”?
The antonym of antagonistical is friendly, sympathetic, and supportive. The antonyms friendly, sympathetic, and supportive convey a positive or agreeable attitude. It implies a willingness to help, support, or cooperate with others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Kind and pleasant; showing a positive attitude towards others.
She was always friendly and welcoming to new people she met.
Feeling or expressing compassion, understanding, or support for someone's situation or feelings.
The counselor was sympathetic to her struggles and offered helpful advice.
Providing encouragement, help, or assistance to someone in need.
Her family was supportive of her decision to pursue her dreams.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Friendly describes a positive attitude towards others, while antagonistical describes a negative or hostile attitude.
- 2Sympathetic describes a compassionate and understanding attitude towards someone's situation or feelings, while antagonistical conveys a lack of empathy or concern.
- 3Supportive describes providing help or assistance to someone in need, while antagonistical conveys a lack of support or cooperation.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Relationships: Use friendly, sympathetic, and supportive to build positive relationships with others.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding and compassion.
- 3Encourage Cooperation: Utilize these antonyms to encourage teamwork and cooperation in group settings.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Friendly conveys a positive attitude, sympathetic denotes compassion and understanding, and supportive refers to providing help or assistance. Use these words to improve relationships, show empathy, and encourage cooperation in group settings.