What is the antonym of “antegrade”?
The antonym of antegrade is retrograde and backward. The antonyms retrograde and backward convey a direction opposite to the usual or expected one. It implies a movement or flow in the opposite direction.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Moving or directed backward; opposite to the usual or expected direction.
The spacecraft's engines malfunctioned, causing it to move in a retrograde direction.
Directed or facing toward the back or rear; opposite to the usual or expected direction.
He took a backward step instead of moving forward, causing him to stumble.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Retrograde is a more specific term that describes a movement or direction opposite to the usual or expected one.
- 2Backward is a general term that describes a direction or position toward the back or rear.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use antegrade and retrograde to describe the flow of fluids or substances in the body.
- 2Engineering: Incorporate these antonyms in technical writing to describe the direction of motion or flow.
- 3Daily Life: Utilize these antonyms in conversations to describe the direction of movement or flow in various contexts.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Retrograde conveys a specific direction opposite to the usual or expected one, while backward describes a general direction toward the back or rear. Use these words in science, engineering, and daily life to describe the direction of motion or flow.