What is the antonym of “appositeness”?
The antonyms of appositeness are irrelevance and inappropriateness. These words convey the opposite meaning of being suitable, fitting, or pertinent to a particular situation or context.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being unrelated or not applicable to the matter at hand.
His comments were met with irrelevance as they had nothing to do with the topic under discussion.
The quality or state of being unsuitable or improper for a particular occasion, purpose, or audience.
Wearing casual clothes to a formal event would be an example of inappropriateness.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Irrelevance refers to something that is completely unrelated or not applicable to the matter at hand.
- 2Inappropriateness refers to something that is not suitable or improper for a particular occasion, purpose, or audience.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the relevance or appropriateness of research findings or arguments.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in emails, reports, or presentations to convey the suitability or pertinence of ideas or proposals.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Utilize these antonyms to express opinions about the suitability or relevance of topics or events.