Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Moving or falling downward.
The airplane was descending towards the runway for landing.
Moving downward under the force of gravity; decreasing in value or quantity.
The leaves were falling from the trees in autumn.
Gradually becoming less in amount, intensity, or quality.
The company's profits were declining due to increased competition.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Descending refers to a physical movement downwards, while falling can be both physical and metaphorical.
- 2Falling implies a sudden or rapid decrease, while declining suggests a gradual or prolonged decrease.
- 3Ascendent and descending are opposites in terms of direction, while falling and declining are opposites in terms of amount or intensity.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use ascending and descending to describe the movement of objects in space or air.
- 2Economics: Use falling and declining to describe the decrease in stock prices or market trends.
- 3Politics: Use ascendent and declining to describe the rise or fall of political parties or leaders.
The antonyms of ascendent have different meanings and usage. Descending refers to a physical movement downwards, falling implies a sudden or rapid decrease, and declining suggests a gradual or prolonged decrease. Use these words in different contexts such as science, economics, and politics to convey precise meaning.