What is the antonym of “ask”?
The antonyms of ask are answer and reply. While ask refers to the act of posing a question or making an inquiry, answer and reply refer to the response given to the question.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A response to a question or inquiry; a solution to a problem.
I'm still waiting for an answer to my email.
Can you answer this question for me?
A response to a message or communication; a written or spoken answer.
I received a reply from the company regarding my job application.
Please reply to this email as soon as possible.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Answer is a more formal term that refers to a response to a question or inquiry, while reply can refer to a response to any type of message or communication.
- 2Answer can also be used as a verb to mean responding to a question or inquiry, while reply is only used as a verb to mean responding to a message or communication.
Good things to know
- 1Inquire Politely: Use ask to politely pose a question or request information.
- 2Respond Clearly: Use answer or reply to provide a clear and concise response to a question or message.
- 3Communicate Effectively: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to ensure effective communication and understanding.
The antonyms answer and reply refer to the response given to a question or message, while ask refers to the act of posing a question or making an inquiry. Use ask to inquire politely, answer or reply to respond clearly, and incorporate these antonyms in conversations to communicate effectively.