What is the antonym of “assign”?
The antonyms of assign are withhold, keep, and retain. These words convey the opposite meaning of assigning or allocating something to someone. They imply holding back, keeping, or not giving something to someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refuse to give or grant something that is due or desired.
The company decided to withhold bonuses this year due to financial constraints.
Retain possession of.
I decided to keep the book instead of returning it to the library.
Continue to have something; keep possession of.
The company decided to retain its employees despite the economic downturn.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Withhold implies a refusal to give or grant something that is due or desired.
- 2Keep implies retaining possession of something.
- 3Retain implies continuing to have something or keeping possession of it.
Good things to know
- 1Business Communication: Use these antonyms in business communication to convey the opposite meaning of assigning or allocating something.
- 2Legal Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in legal writing to describe situations where something is being held back or not given.
- 3Academic Writing: Utilize these antonyms in academic writing to express opposing views or ideas.
The antonyms of assign convey the opposite meaning of allocating or giving something to someone. Withhold implies a refusal to give, keep implies retaining possession, and retain implies continuing to have something. Use these antonyms in business communication, legal writing, and academic writing to express opposing views or ideas.