What is the antonym of “asymmetry”?
The antonyms of asymmetry are symmetry, balance, and proportion. These words describe a state of equal or harmonious distribution of parts, shapes, or quantities.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being made up of exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis.
The butterfly's wings had perfect symmetry, with each side mirroring the other.
An even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady.
The gymnast demonstrated impressive balance by standing on one foot for several minutes.
A part, share, or number considered in relation to a whole.
The architect ensured that the building's height was in proportion to its width.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Symmetry refers to a balanced arrangement of identical or similar parts.
- 2Balance refers to an even distribution of weight or forces that enables stability.
- 3Proportion refers to a relationship between parts or quantities that creates a harmonious whole.
Good things to know
- 1Art and Design: Use symmetry to create visually pleasing and balanced compositions.
- 2Fitness and Sports: Use balance to describe physical stability and coordination.
- 3Math and Science: Use proportion to describe relationships between numbers, shapes, and quantities.
The antonyms of asymmetry are symmetry, balance, and proportion. These words describe a state of equal or harmonious distribution of parts, shapes, or quantities. Use these words in art and design, fitness and sports, math and science to describe balanced arrangements, physical stability, and proportional relationships.