What is the antonym of “attrite”?
The antonyms of attrite are strengthen, fortify, and uphold. The antonyms convey a positive or constructive meaning. They imply the act of making something stronger, more resilient, or more enduring.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something stronger or more robust.
He started to exercise regularly to strengthen his muscles and improve his health.
To make something stronger or more resistant to attack or damage.
The castle was fortified with high walls, towers, and a moat to protect it from invaders.
To support or maintain something, especially a principle or law.
As a judge, her duty was to uphold the constitution and ensure justice for all.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Strengthen implies making something physically or mentally stronger or more resilient.
- 2Fortify implies making something more resistant to attack, damage, or external threats.
- 3Uphold implies supporting or maintaining a principle, law, or belief system.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use strengthen, fortify, and uphold to express positive actions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create compelling characters and stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Strengthen conveys physical or mental improvement, fortify denotes resistance to external threats, and uphold refers to supporting principles or laws. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating compelling characters and stories.