What is the antonym of “audacity”?
The antonyms of audacity are timidity and cowardice. The antonyms timidity and cowardice convey a lack of boldness or courage. It implies a feeling of fear, nervousness, or hesitation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of self-assurance or courage; shyness or hesitancy in the face of risk or challenge.
Her timidity prevented her from speaking up during the meeting.
Lack of bravery or courage in the face of danger or difficulty; excessive fear or timidity.
His cowardice made him run away from the battlefield.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Timidity is a milder form of fear or hesitation, while cowardice is a more extreme form of fear that prevents one from taking action.
- 2Timidity can be overcome with practice and experience, while cowardice is a deep-seated trait that is difficult to change.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use timidity and cowardice to describe people who lack courage or boldness.
- 2Encourage Bravery: Use audacity as a positive term to encourage people to take risks and be bold.
- 3Discuss Personal Growth: Use these antonyms to discuss how people can overcome their fears and become more confident.
The antonyms of audacity are timidity and cowardice. Timidity is a milder form of fear or hesitation that can be overcome with practice, while cowardice is a more extreme form of fear that is difficult to change. Use these words to enhance vocabulary, encourage bravery, and discuss personal growth.