What is the antonym of “authoritarian”?
The antonym of authoritarian are democratic, egalitarian, and liberal. These words describe different political systems, ideologies, and values that are opposite to authoritarianism.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or supporting democracy, a system of government in which power is held by the people, either directly or through elected representatives.
In a democratic society, citizens have the right to vote and participate in decision-making processes.
Believing in or promoting equal rights for all people, regardless of their social status, gender, race, or other differences.
An egalitarian society values diversity, inclusivity, and fairness.
Favoring individual freedom, civil liberties, and progressive social reforms, often associated with left-wing politics.
A liberal government supports policies that promote equality, justice, and human rights.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Democratic refers to a political system that values popular sovereignty and participation.
- 2Egalitarian refers to a social philosophy that values equality and fairness for all individuals.
- 3Liberal refers to a political ideology that values individual freedom and progressive reforms.
Good things to know
- 1Political Science: Use these antonyms to describe different political systems and ideologies.
- 2Social Justice: Use egalitarian to advocate for equal rights and opportunities for marginalized groups.
- 3Critical Thinking: Use these antonyms to analyze and evaluate different perspectives and arguments.
The antonyms of authoritarian are democratic, egalitarian, and liberal. These words describe different political systems, social philosophies, and ideologies that value popular sovereignty, equality, and individual freedom. Use these antonyms to discuss political science, social justice, and critical thinking.