What is the antonym of “averred”?
The antonyms of averred are deny, contradict, and disavow. These words convey the opposite meaning of averred, which means to declare or assert something as true.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refuse to acknowledge or accept the truth or existence of something.
He denied stealing the money from the cash register.
Assert the opposite of a statement made by someone else.
His testimony contradicted the witness's account of the incident.
Deny any responsibility or support for something.
The company disavowed any involvement in the scandal.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deny implies refusing to accept the truth or existence of something.
- 2Contradict implies asserting the opposite of what someone else has said.
- 3Disavow implies denying any responsibility or support for something.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Proceedings: Use these antonyms in legal proceedings to clarify statements and refute claims.
- 2Journalistic Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in journalistic writing to provide balanced reporting and fact-checking.
- 3Debate and Argumentation: Utilize these antonyms in debates and argumentation to challenge opposing views and present counterarguments.
The antonyms of averred are deny, contradict, and disavow. These words convey the opposite meaning of averred, which means to declare or assert something as true. Use these antonyms in legal proceedings, journalistic writing, debates, and argumentation to clarify statements, provide balanced reporting, challenge opposing views, and present counterarguments.