What is the antonym of “averring”?
The antonyms of averring are deny, contradict, and disavow. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of averring, which means to assert or declare something to be true.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To declare that something is not true or that one did not do something.
He will deny all allegations against him in court.
To say the opposite of what someone else has said, or to deny the truth of a statement.
Her testimony contradicts his version of events.
To deny any responsibility or support for something.
The company disavowed any knowledge of the illegal activities of its employees.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deny implies a direct refusal of something that is being claimed or alleged.
- 2Contradict implies a disagreement with what has been said or done by someone else.
- 3Disavow implies a denial of any association or responsibility for something.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Proceedings: Use deny to refute allegations made against you in court.
- 2Debates and Discussions: Use contradict to express disagreement with someone's argument or point of view.
- 3Politics and Diplomacy: Use disavow to distance yourself from controversial statements or actions.