What is the antonym of “avowed”?
The antonyms of avowed are secret, hidden, and concealed. These antonyms describe something that is kept hidden or not publicly acknowledged.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Kept hidden from knowledge or view; concealed.
She had a secret crush on her coworker that no one knew about.
Kept out of sight; concealed.
The treasure was hidden in a secret compartment behind the bookshelf.
Kept secret; hidden.
He concealed his true identity by wearing a mask during the masquerade ball.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Secret implies that something is intentionally kept hidden from others.
- 2Hidden suggests that something is not easily seen or discovered.
- 3Concealed means that something is deliberately kept from being known or seen.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Discuss Secrets: Use these antonyms when talking about secrets, hidden information, or confidential matters.
- 3Write Fiction: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create suspenseful plots or mysterious characters.
The antonyms of avowed are secret, hidden, and concealed. Use secret to describe something intentionally kept hidden, hidden to suggest something not easily seen, and concealed to describe something deliberately kept from being known. Use these antonyms to enhance your vocabulary, discuss secrets, or write compelling fiction.