What is the antonym of “back”?
The antonyms of back are front and face. The antonyms front and face refer to the opposite side or direction of the body or object.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The side or surface that is opposite the back.
The sign says 'Entrance' on the front and 'Exit' on the back.
The front part of the head, from the forehead to the chin.
She turned her face towards the sun to feel its warmth.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Front refers to the opposite side or surface of an object or body, while face refers to the front part of the head.
- 2Front can be used as a noun or adjective, while face can be used as a noun or verb.
Good things to know
- 1Spatial Orientation: Use back, front, and face to describe the position or direction of objects or people.
- 2Physical Description: Use face to describe the features of a person's face or front to describe the appearance of an object's front side.
- 3Idiomatic Expressions: Incorporate these antonyms in idiomatic expressions such as 'face the music' or 'put your best foot forward'.