What is the antonym of “backmost”?
The antonyms of backmost are frontmost, foremost, and first. These antonyms describe the position of something in relation to others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Situated at or nearest to the front.
The frontmost seats in the cinema offer the best view.
Most prominent in rank, importance, or position.
She was the foremost expert in her field and had published numerous papers on the subject.
Coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st.
The first person to arrive at the party gets to choose the music.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Frontmost describes something that is closest to the front.
- 2Foremost describes something that is most important or prominent.
- 3First describes something that comes before all others in time or order.
Good things to know
- 1Spatial Relationships: Use these antonyms to describe the position of objects or people relative to each other.
- 2Ranking: Use foremost and first to describe the importance or priority of something.
- 3Directions: Use frontmost to give directions or describe the location of something.
The antonyms frontmost, foremost, and first describe the position of something in relation to others. Use them to describe spatial relationships, ranking, and directions.