What is the antonym of “belie”?
The antonyms of belie are confirm, corroborate, and support. The antonyms confirm, corroborate, and support convey a positive or affirmative meaning. They imply that something is true, accurate, or valid.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Establish the truth or validity of something previously doubted or suspected.
The DNA test will confirm whether he is the father of the child.
Confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding).
The witness's testimony corroborated the victim's account of the crime.
Bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
The pillars support the roof of the building.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Confirm implies establishing the truth or validity of something previously doubted or suspected.
- 2Corroborate implies confirming or giving support to a statement, theory, or finding.
- 3Support implies bearing the weight of something or holding it up.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use confirm and corroborate to validate research findings and arguments.
- 2Business Communication: Use support to describe how a product or service can meet customer needs.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use these antonyms to express agreement or disagreement with someone's statement or opinion.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Confirm establishes the truth, corroborate confirms or supports a statement, and support bears the weight of something. Use these words in academic writing to validate research findings and arguments, in business communication to describe how a product or service can meet customer needs, and in everyday conversation to express agreement or disagreement with someone's statement or opinion.