What is the antonym of “besmirch”?
The antonym of besmirch is praise, commend, and honor. The antonyms praise, commend, and honor convey a positive or approving sentiment. It implies a recognition of excellence, merit, or achievement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express admiration or approval for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for their hard work and dedication.
To recommend or endorse someone or something as worthy of attention or praise.
The company commended its employees for their outstanding performance and contributions.
To show respect, admiration, or recognition for someone or something.
The organization honored the volunteers for their selfless service and dedication to the community.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes an expression of admiration or approval.
- 2Commend is a more specific term that describes a recommendation or endorsement of someone or something.
- 3Honor is a term that describes a public display of respect, admiration, or recognition.
Good things to know
- 1Express Gratitude: Use praise, commend, and honor to show appreciation and gratitude.
- 2Motivate Others: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to inspire and motivate others.
- 3Celebrate Achievements: Utilize these antonyms in ceremonies and events to celebrate achievements and milestones.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general admiration, commend denotes recommendation, and honor refers to public recognition. Use these words to express gratitude, motivate others, and celebrate achievements by incorporating them in conversations, ceremonies, and events.