What is the antonym of “blanket”?
The antonyms of blanket are expose and uncover. The antonyms expose and uncover convey the opposite meaning of covering or hiding something. They imply revealing or making something visible.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something visible or known that was previously hidden or secret.
The journalist's investigation helped expose the corruption within the government.
To remove a cover or layer from something, revealing what is beneath.
The archaeologists were excited to uncover the ancient ruins buried beneath the sand.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Expose implies revealing something that was previously hidden or secret, while uncover implies removing a cover or layer to reveal what is beneath.
- 2Expose can also be used in a figurative sense, such as exposing someone's true character or intentions, while uncover is typically used in a literal sense.
Good things to know
- 1News Reporting: Use expose to describe uncovering hidden information or secrets.
- 2Archaeology: Use uncover to describe the process of removing layers of soil or debris to reveal ancient artifacts or structures.
- 3Science: Use expose to describe exposing samples to different conditions or substances for testing purposes.
The antonyms expose and uncover convey the opposite meaning of covering or hiding something. Expose implies revealing something hidden or secret, while uncover implies removing a cover or layer to reveal what is beneath. These words can be used in various contexts such as news reporting, archaeology, and science.