Definitions and Examples of lend, give, donate
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give something to someone for a temporary period, with the expectation that it will be returned.
Can you lend me your pen for a minute? I need to write something down.
To transfer the possession of something to someone else as a gift or payment.
She gave me a book as a birthday present.
To give money, goods, or time to a charitable organization or cause.
He donated his old clothes to a homeless shelter.
Key Differences: lend vs give vs donate
- 1Lend implies that the item will be returned after a certain period of time.
- 2Give implies that the item is being transferred permanently.
- 3Donate implies that the item is being given to a charitable organization or cause.
Effective Usage of lend, give, donate
- 1Clarify Intentions: Use these antonyms to clarify whether you want to borrow or give something.
- 2Express Gratitude: Use give and donate to express gratitude when receiving gifts or donations.
- 3Discuss Financial Matters: Use lend to discuss financial transactions involving loans.
The antonyms of borrow are lend, give, and donate. Use these words to clarify intentions, express gratitude, and discuss financial matters. Lend implies temporary transfer, give implies permanent transfer, and donate implies charitable giving.