What is the antonym of “breakneck”?
The antonyms of breakneck are slow and leisurely. The antonyms slow and leisurely convey a relaxed pace or speed, unlike the fast and dangerous speed of breakneck.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Moving or operating at a low speed; not quick or fast.
The turtle moved at a slow pace, taking its time to cross the road.
Acting or done at a relaxed and unhurried pace; easygoing.
We took a leisurely stroll in the park, enjoying the scenery and fresh air.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Slow describes a lack of speed or quickness, while breakneck describes an extremely fast and dangerous speed.
- 2Leisurely describes a relaxed and unhurried pace, while breakneck implies a sense of urgency and danger.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use slow or leisurely to describe a comfortable pace of travel.
- 2Work: Use slow to describe a task that requires careful attention and precision.
- 3Relaxation: Use leisurely to describe a relaxing activity or pastime.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Slow conveys a lack of speed, while leisurely describes a relaxed pace. Use these words to describe comfortable travel, precise work, or relaxing activities, unlike the fast and dangerous speed of breakneck.