What is the antonym of “browbeaten”?
The antonym of browbeaten is encouraged, empowered, and supported. The antonyms encouraged, empowered, and supported convey a positive emotional state. It implies a feeling of confidence, motivation, and strength.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Feeling hopeful or confident about something.
After receiving positive feedback from her boss, she felt encouraged to take on more challenging tasks.
Having the authority or power to do something.
The new policy empowered employees to make decisions without seeking approval from their supervisors.
Receiving help, guidance, or assistance from others.
She felt supported by her family and friends during her recovery from surgery.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Encouraged implies a feeling of hope or confidence, while browbeaten implies a feeling of intimidation or discouragement.
- 2Empowered implies having the authority or power to do something, while browbeaten implies being controlled or dominated by someone else.
- 3Supported implies receiving help or assistance from others, while browbeaten implies being oppressed or mistreated by others.
Good things to know
- 1Motivate Others: Use encouraged to inspire confidence and hope in others.
- 2Promote Independence: Use empowered to encourage others to take charge of their lives.
- 3Offer Assistance: Use supported to show that you are willing to help others in need.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Encouraged conveys hope and confidence, empowered denotes authority and power, and supported refers to receiving help or assistance. Use these words to motivate others, promote independence, and offer assistance to those in need.