What is the antonym of “but”?
The antonyms of but are and, also, and furthermore. These words are used to connect ideas or clauses in a sentence, but they have different meanings and functions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Used to connect two or more items or ideas that are similar or related.
I like to read and write in my free time.
In addition; as well; too.
She is a talented singer also known for her acting skills.
Moreover; in addition to what has been said.
He is an excellent student. Furthermore, he is a great athlete.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1And is used to connect two or more similar or related items or ideas.
- 2Also is used to add information or emphasize something that is already known.
- 3Furthermore is used to add more information or support to a previous statement.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to vary sentence structure and improve coherence.
- 2Improve Speaking: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to express ideas more clearly.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Learn and practice using these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.