The Opposite(Antonym) of “buy”
The antonyms of buy are sell and dispose of. The antonyms sell and dispose of convey the opposite meaning of buy, which is to give away or get rid of something in exchange for money.
Explore all Antonyms of “buy”
- dispose of
Definitions and Examples of sell, dispose of
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To exchange goods or services for money.
He decided to sell his old car to buy a new one.
Key Differences: sell vs dispose of
- 1Sell implies exchanging goods or services for money, while dispose of can mean getting rid of something in any way possible.
- 2Sell is often used in a commercial context, while dispose of can be used in any context where something needs to be thrown away or gotten rid of.
Effective Usage of sell, dispose of
- 1Business Transactions: Use buy and sell to describe commercial transactions.
- 2Decluttering: Use dispose of to describe getting rid of unwanted items.
- 3Environmentalism: Use dispose of to describe proper waste management and recycling practices.
The antonyms of buy are sell and dispose of. Sell implies exchanging goods or services for money, while dispose of can mean getting rid of something in any way possible. Use these words to describe business transactions, decluttering, and environmentalism.