What is the antonym of “cajolery”?
The antonyms of cajolery are criticism and reproach. The antonyms criticism and reproach convey a negative or disapproving attitude. They imply fault-finding, blame, or condemnation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of finding fault or expressing disapproval; a critical comment or judgment.
He received a lot of criticism for his poor performance in the game.
An expression of disapproval or disappointment; blame or censure.
She felt a sense of reproach from her boss for not meeting the deadline.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Criticism is a general term that describes the act of finding fault or expressing disapproval.
- 2Reproach is a more specific term that implies blame or censure for a particular action or behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Effective Feedback: Use criticism to provide constructive feedback and help someone improve.
- 2Express Disapproval: Use reproach to express disapproval or disappointment in someone's actions.
- 3Avoid Misunderstandings: Use these antonyms carefully to avoid misunderstandings or hurt feelings.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Criticism conveys a general disapproval, while reproach implies blame or censure for a particular action. Use these words to provide effective feedback, express disapproval, or avoid misunderstandings.