What is the antonym of “canonical”?
The antonyms of canonical are unauthorized, unapproved, and unrecognized. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of canonical, which refers to something that is accepted as a standard or authoritative.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not having official permission or approval.
The company's CEO fired an employee for accessing unauthorized files on the company's server.
Not having been officially sanctioned or endorsed.
The construction of the building was halted because it was found to be unapproved by the local authorities.
Not acknowledged or accepted as valid or legitimate.
The artist's work remained unrecognized until after his death, when it gained popularity.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unauthorized refers to something that is done without permission or approval.
- 2Unapproved refers to something that has not been officially sanctioned or endorsed.
- 3Unrecognized refers to something that is not acknowledged or accepted as valid or legitimate.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Matters: Use unauthorized to describe actions that are not permitted by law.
- 2Regulations: Use unapproved to describe things that do not comply with regulations or standards.
- 3Recognition: Use unrecognized to describe people or things that have not received acknowledgment or acceptance.