What is the antonym of “catalysis”?
The antonyms of catalysis are inhibition and retardation. The antonyms inhibition and retardation convey a slowing down or stopping of a chemical reaction, whereas catalysis refers to the acceleration of a chemical reaction.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of slowing down or stopping a chemical reaction.
The presence of a certain chemical in the reaction mixture led to the inhibition of the reaction.
The act of slowing down or delaying a chemical reaction.
The low temperature caused retardation of the reaction, making it take longer than usual.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inhibition refers to the complete or partial stopping of a chemical reaction, while retardation refers to the slowing down or delaying of a reaction.
- 2Catalysis refers to the acceleration of a chemical reaction, while inhibition and retardation refer to the slowing down or stopping of a reaction.
Good things to know
- 1Chemistry: Use these antonyms to describe the effects of different chemicals on chemical reactions.
- 2Science Education: Incorporate these antonyms in lessons to help students understand the concept of chemical reactions.
- 3Research: Utilize these antonyms in scientific research to describe the effects of different factors on chemical reactions.