What is the antonym of “categorize”?
The antonyms of categorize are disorganize, scatter, and ungroup. The antonyms disorganize, scatter, and ungroup convey a lack of order or structure. It implies that things are not arranged in a systematic or logical way.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To cause something to be in a state of disorder or confusion.
The sudden power outage disorganized the entire office, and everyone was scrambling to find their way around.
To throw or distribute things in different directions without any particular order or purpose.
The wind scattered the leaves all over the yard, making it difficult to clean up.
To separate things that were previously grouped together.
She decided to ungroup the items on her to-do list and prioritize them according to their importance.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disorganize implies a state of chaos or confusion, while categorize implies a structured and organized system.
- 2Scatter suggests a random distribution of things, while categorize suggests a deliberate and intentional grouping of things.
- 3Ungroup refers to the act of separating things that were previously grouped together, while categorize refers to the act of grouping things together based on shared characteristics.
Good things to know
- 1Organizing: Use categorize to group things together based on shared characteristics.
- 2Cleaning: Use disorganize and scatter to describe a messy or cluttered space.
- 3Data Analysis: Use ungroup to separate data points that were previously grouped together.