What is the antonym of “ceremonious”?
The antonym of ceremonious are informal, casual, and unconventional. These antonyms describe a lack of formality, seriousness, or adherence to traditional customs.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not formal or ceremonious; casual and relaxed.
The wedding was an informal affair, with guests wearing shorts and flip-flops.
Relaxed and unconcerned; not formal or serious.
He showed up for the job interview in a casual outfit, which made a bad impression on the interviewer.
Not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed.
She had an unconventional approach to teaching, using games and music to engage her students.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Informal suggests a lack of formality or strict adherence to rules or traditions.
- 2Casual implies a relaxed and unconcerned attitude, often associated with social situations.
- 3Unconventional describes something that deviates from the norm or standard practices.
Good things to know
- 1Social Settings: Use informal and casual to describe relaxed and laid-back events.
- 2Creative Fields: Incorporate unconventional to describe innovative and non-traditional approaches.
- 3Professional Settings: Avoid using these antonyms in formal or serious contexts, such as job interviews or business meetings.
The antonyms informal, casual, and unconventional describe a lack of formality, seriousness, or adherence to traditional customs. Use them to describe relaxed and laid-back events in social settings, innovative and non-traditional approaches in creative fields, but avoid using them in formal or serious contexts.