What is the antonym of “clausure”?
The antonyms of closure are opening and commencement. The antonyms opening and commencement convey a sense of beginning or initiation, while closure refers to the end or conclusion of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A beginning or start of something.
The opening of the new restaurant was a huge success, with many people coming to try the food.
The beginning or start of something, often used in the context of graduation ceremonies.
The commencement ceremony marked the end of their academic journey and the beginning of a new chapter in their lives.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Opening refers to the beginning or start of something, while closure refers to the end or conclusion of something.
- 2Commencement is a more formal term that is often used in the context of graduation ceremonies, while opening can refer to any type of beginning.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use opening to refer to the launch of a new business or store.
- 2Academics: Use commencement to refer to graduation ceremonies or the start of an academic program.
- 3Everyday Life: Use opening to describe the start of a movie or show, or the beginning of a new day.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Opening and commencement convey a sense of beginning or initiation, while closure refers to the end or conclusion of something. Use these words in different contexts such as business, academics, or everyday life to convey the appropriate meaning.