What is the antonym of “clothe”?
The antonyms of clothe are strip and unclothe. The antonyms strip and unclothe convey the opposite action of putting on clothes. They imply removing or taking off clothing.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To remove clothing or covering from something or someone.
After coming back from the beach, he had to strip off his wet clothes and take a shower.
To remove clothing or covering from someone or something.
The doctor asked the patient to unclothe and put on a hospital gown before the examination.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Strip is a more general term that can refer to removing any type of covering, not just clothing.
- 2Unclothe is a more formal term that is often used in medical or legal contexts.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Conversation: Use strip and unclothe to describe the action of removing clothes.
- 2Medical Context: Use unclothe in medical settings to ask patients to remove their clothes for examination.
- 3Legal Context: Use unclothe in legal settings to describe the act of revealing the truth or exposing something hidden.
The antonyms of clothe are strip and unclothe. While strip is a more general term, unclothe is a formal term often used in medical or legal contexts. Use these words in daily conversations, medical settings, and legal contexts to convey the opposite action of putting on clothes.