What is the antonym of “colliding”?
The antonyms of colliding are separating and diverging. The antonyms separating and diverging convey a sense of moving away from each other or not coming into contact.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Moving away from each other; becoming disconnected or disunited.
After the divorce, they started separating their belongings and living apart.
Moving in different directions; becoming dissimilar or distinct.
Their opinions on the matter were diverging, and they couldn't agree on a solution.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Separating implies a physical or emotional distance between two entities, while colliding implies a physical impact.
- 2Diverging implies a movement away from each other or becoming different, while colliding implies a coming together or impact.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use colliding to describe the impact of particles or objects in physics or chemistry.
- 2Sports: Use colliding to describe the impact of players in contact sports like football or rugby.
- 3Relationships: Use separating to describe the process of ending a relationship or moving away from someone.
- 4Ideas: Use diverging to describe how ideas or opinions can become different or distinct over time.
The antonyms of colliding are separating and diverging. Use colliding to describe physical impact, separating to describe distance or disconnection, and diverging to describe movement away from each other or becoming different.