What is the antonym of “comfortable”?
The antonyms of comfortable are uncomfortable, painful, and uneasy. These words describe a state of physical or emotional discomfort, unease, or pain.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Causing or feeling physical discomfort or unease.
The chair was so hard that it made him feel uncomfortable after sitting for a while.
Causing or characterized by physical pain or discomfort.
The wound was so deep that it caused him painful sensations every time he moved.
Feeling anxious, apprehensive, or uncertain about something.
She felt uneasy about the dark alley and decided to take a different route.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Uncomfortable describes a physical or emotional state of discomfort or unease.
- 2Painful describes a physical state of discomfort or pain.
- 3Uneasy describes an emotional state of anxiety, apprehension, or uncertainty.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Physical Sensations: Use uncomfortable and painful to describe physical discomfort or pain.
- 2Expressing Emotional States: Use uneasy to describe emotional states of anxiety, apprehension, or uncertainty.
- 3Giving Feedback: Use these antonyms to provide feedback on products, services, or experiences.
The antonyms of comfortable have distinct nuances: uncomfortable describes a state of physical or emotional discomfort, painful describes a physical state of discomfort or pain, and uneasy describes an emotional state of anxiety, apprehension, or uncertainty. Use these words to describe physical sensations, express emotional states, and give feedback on products, services, or experiences.