What is the antonym of “commingling”?
The antonyms of commingling are separate, divide, and distinguish. These words convey the opposite meaning of commingling, which is to mix or blend things together.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To set apart or keep apart; to divide into distinct parts.
She used a divider to separate the different types of beads.
To split or separate into two or more parts; to distribute among several people or groups.
The teacher asked the students to divide into groups of four.
To recognize or perceive the difference between things; to make something stand out from others.
The red hat helped distinguish her from the rest of the crowd.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Separate implies a physical or spatial division, while commingling refers to mixing things together.
- 2Divide suggests splitting something into distinct parts, while commingling suggests blending things together.
- 3Distinguish means recognizing the difference between things, while commingling means mixing things together without distinction.
Good things to know
- 1Cooking: Use commingling when you want to mix ingredients together, and use separate when you want to keep them apart.
- 2Science: Use commingling when you want to describe the mixing of substances, and use distinguish when you want to identify differences between them.
- 3Business: Use commingling when you want to describe the mixing of funds or assets, and use divide when you want to distribute them among different parties.