Definitions and Examples of opponent, adversary
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person who competes against another in a contest, game, or argument.
The boxer's toughest opponent was the reigning champion.
One's opponent in a contest, conflict, or dispute.
The detective's main adversary was the cunning criminal mastermind.
Key Differences: opponent vs adversary
- 1Opponent is a general term that describes someone who competes against you in a contest or argument.
- 2Adversary is a more specific term that describes someone who is actively opposing you in a conflict or dispute.
Effective Usage of opponent, adversary
- 1Sports: Use opponent to describe the other team or player in a game or match.
- 2Politics: Use adversary to describe a political rival or opponent.
- 3Debate: Use opponent to refer to the person arguing against your position.
The antonyms of companion are opponent and adversary. Use opponent to describe someone you are competing against in a contest or argument, and use adversary to describe someone who is actively opposing you in a conflict or dispute.