What is the antonym of “concentre”?
The antonyms of concentrate are distract, divert, and scatter. The antonyms convey a lack of focus or attention, and imply a state of being scattered or unfocused.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To draw someone's attention away from something; to divert one's attention.
The loud music from the party next door distracted him from his studies.
To cause someone or something to change course or direction; to turn away from something.
The construction work on the road diverted the traffic to another route.
To throw or spread things in different directions; to disperse.
The wind scattered the leaves all over the garden.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Distract implies that someone or something is drawing attention away from what one is trying to focus on.
- 2Divert implies that something is causing a change in direction or course.
- 3Scatter implies that things are being thrown or dispersed in different directions.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use distract, divert, and scatter to describe situations where focus or attention is lost.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate antonyms in writing to add variety and depth to descriptions.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more effectively.
The antonyms of concentrate convey a lack of focus or attention. Distract implies attention being drawn away, divert implies a change in direction, and scatter implies things being dispersed in different directions. Use these antonyms to enhance communication, improve writing, and enrich vocabulary.